Friday, August 31, 2012

breastfeeding tips

Whether you breastfeed or formula feed, it's up to you. I'm breastfeeding so that is what I'm giving tips on. I love breastfeeding my baby but I didn't always love it. I appreciated 0 sugar coating when I was pregnant so that is the approach I'm taking with this blog. Breastfeeding hurts. A lot. Some say it takes 2 weeks to get used to, It took me about 6 weeks. I've also heard, "if the latch is correct, it won't hurt". BS. There is a hungry baby sucking on your nipple - there will be discomfort. So here are some tips:
  1. If it is hurting or you think the latch is wrong, unlatch the baby. Use the "fish hook" method - slide your finger into the baby's mouth along the cheek and gently pull him off of your nipple. 
  2. Use nursing pads. I recommend Lansinoh pads because they have adhesive on one side so they will stick to your bra without shifting. They are also thick, absorbent & plush therefore comfortable. An added bonus: each box comes with 2 free milk storage bags! I do NOT recommend Nuk nursing pads because they have no adhesive and they feel like cardboard. 
  3. Use nipple cream. I HIGHLY recommend Smart Choices Lanolin! You might pay more but it is worth every penny. It is pure lanolin, a thinner cream than what you get in the stores so it spreads easier. It will seriously heal your red, chapped, cracked nipple overnight. You won't have to wash it off before breastfeeding and it won't stain clothes. It lasts a long time; I used it after every feeding session. I got a 2nd tube when my baby was about 4 months but since my body is use to the breastfeeding now I rarely need it - so I use it for chapped lips! 
  4. Use an electric pump. It is fast and painless; usually they have a turn dial so you can control the suction power. Start with a weak, slow suction then work up to your comfort level. I use the Medela brand and love it. I have used the Medela manual breast pump as well and it is very comfortable if you are doing shorter pumping sessions. I also use a hands-free pumping bra - yes they really work! It holds the pieces in place and I'm able to surf the web, read, type, brush my teeth, etc while pumping. 
  5. Remember, heat will make your milk come in. If you stand in a hot shower you could start lactating. If you try to sooth your sore nips with a heating pad or hot, wet washcloths, you will become engorged. Believe me, I know. So try to sooth your sore self with cold gel pads or ice packs. 
  6. To increase your milk supply - drink more water and pump more. Cluster pumping/feeding! This is when you pump for 5-10 minutes then stop for a few minutes. Then start again. It will trick your body into thinking it needs to produce more. 
 ***Thank you again to family, friends and internet for the help during painful breastfeeding moments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment