Friday, August 31, 2012

Cradle cap tips

A lot of babies get cradle cap - it's crusty and yellow and gross to look at but it doesn't bother the baby one bit. Our pediatrician said to just leave it alone because it eventually goes away but I couldn't! It kept flaking on everything and everyone & my baby hated wearing hats. So the pediatrician suggested a few things: Rub olive oil/baby oil on the head, leave on for a minimum of one hour or overnight. Then use a comb to pick off all the crustiness then wash off. The main problem with this is the fact that the baby insisted on touching his head and I was concerned he'd ingest the oil if he were to suck on his fingers. Plus, the cradle cap just came back the next day after doing all the work to pick it off. So I went to the store and got cradle cap treatment shampoo which was worthless. (But it did come with a nice soft brush...)

Finally I found something that works - Toe Juice. Yes, that's the name of the product and you can find it at Walgreens or Walmart. It is a liquid, similar to an astringent, that you can just rub onto the scalp and within 3 days my baby's cradle cap had disappeared! You have to use it consistently though; I applied it to the scalp once or twice a day depending on the severity of the cradle cap. Make sure not to apply if there is any open wounds/scabs on the head because it will sting. This is a multipurpose product too - I use it on myself for acne, excema, and dry/cracked feet. I use it on the baby for cradle cap, dry/itchy skin, and the occasional stinky baby feet. If you can't find it in stores, you can order it online: www.toejuice.com and right now you can get your 1st bottle free!! If I ever notice any flakiness or if my baby is scratching his skin I just dab on a few drops of Toe Juice and it's allll good.

No comments:

Post a Comment