Friday, August 31, 2012

Dr recommends Vitamin D?

After talking to various new parents I've noticed that not all pediatricians are recommending vitamin D for babies. Obviously, follow the advice of your pediatrician - this is a tip for those of you that HAVE been advised to give your baby vitamin D. My pediatrician said that new research has been done where it was discovered that breast milk doesn't have a sufficient amount of vitamin D and therefore it needs to be supplemented to the baby. I went to Walmart and bought the only vitamin D for babies that I could find: Enfamil brand. The instructions say to give baby 1 mL of the vitamin D a day. I tried this and it was a huge fail: it smells and tastes awful and my baby immediately threw up everything in his little tummy. (Projectile-Exorcist style vomit). This happened EVERY TIME I gave him the vitamin D. My husband went online and read multiple reviews on this product where people described the same experience w/their babies. So we immediately threw that away and ordered a different type, Carlson vitamin D drops(400IU). Not sure if it can be found in stores, we ordered it on amazon.com. The bottle says "for kids" but it is safe for babies. They only need one drop! So you can put a drop on your nipple during a feeding or a drop on your finger then let the baby suck it off your finger - that's what I do. And my baby doesn't mind the taste either. No more puking, what a relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment